Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Boo on Rain!

Where is the snow that is tradionally associated with winter. People keep telling me wait until January hits, then you'll be sorry you asked for snow. Well. It's January... and nothing but rain- the nasty cold stuff that chills you to your bones. I suppose there's still a good portion of January left so I'd better give it a chance :).
3 days into the first week back after a wonderful holiday and work is going well. I got a paycheck yesterday and happily discovered that I actually had a full week (of the 10 days) of paid vacation. I was so surprised since we did get a little Christmas bonus already with the last paycheck. My boss is very generous, and he makes sure that he often tells us how much he appreciates our work. This is soo much better than Michaels.
These days, I've been washing an interesting collection of things. There are alot of broken medicinal bottles on site as one of the more recent occupants(recent being mid-late 1800's) was a doctor who likely had an office inside the house. Some of the bottles are plain, but some of them are very cool because they're pretty colours- amethyst, all shades of aqua, and cobalt and light blue. They would look so neat on a backlit display (once they're reassembled). Some others are cool because they have writing on them. My favourite (one from Monday's washings) so far is a small light-medium aqua bottle with the inscription: "CHAMBERLAIN'S COLIC CHOLERA AND DIARRHÅ’A REMEDY" "CHAMBERLAIN MED CO" "DES MOINES, IA. U.S.A."

It just amazes me how many quack medicines were out there, and that people actually thought they worked, granted, some probably did. I keep an artifact journal of the more interesting things- especially bottles with text. I scanned the page I made for this bottle, but Blogger isn't letting me upload it (I already resized it to 3.75MB, in case anyone is wondering...) I'll try again later... in the mean time, since I can't even upload a web pic, here's a link to a pic that I found to a bottle like mine... apparently it's being sold for $3...
I'm not sure that's worth the shipping price.
well... it turns out that this link doesn't go directly to the pic, but if you're really curious, follow this link and scroll down to item # 1158 .
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/salepics/chamberlain.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/medicine.htm&usg=__ALvXrzjIMWE2N4Xl3EiN8AMzUKc=&h=480&w=360&sz=36&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=4cGS680vgE0_SM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=97&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchamberlain%2527s%2Bcolic%2Bcholera%2Bdiarrhoea%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enCA235CA235%26sa%3DG



Anyway, I've decided that I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to post one a week and if I can't think of anything to write, I can always write about an artifact :)
Hope you are all doing well. Love you!!
~ M

8 comments:

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Boo hoo! Rain! We're having freezing rain right now. Yuck!

Guess what? We unearthed our mailbox yesterday from a pile of snow and I was treated to a whole bunch of mail. Your card was in there. So fun to receive. Beautiful. Thanks Mary. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was very late getting mine out and your's is in the mail still. You should get it soon. :D

Sounds like your job is SOOOOO much better than Michael's. Nice surprise about the payed vacation. :D Interesting bottle -- I looked it up. Nice idea to include it in your blog. Let's us know more about you and your job. Neat!

So glad you've decided to post once a week. I'll look forward to it. Love ya! Tante Karen

Dianna said...

Sounds similar to here, rain all day...my umbrella blew inside out just lovely...but I saved it from being permently popped out the wrong way! Thanks for posting..and I sent you a letter with the show information on it,,i was too lazy to email you...Lots of love Darlin' take care! Love Dianna XOXOXO

rustico3059 said...

That really reminds me of those days when we were digging in the backyard for old bottles. There are actually quite a few left in the basement of those that we found. Remember the pot with the hyroglyphics ? I recently discovered with Caleb and Damaris (before the beautiful snow we had) that there was a lot of treasure left in the archeological grounds and grids at Blue Bay School.
Love MOM

rustico3059 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rustico3059 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary and Isaac said...

That pretty funny Mom. Yeah, I remember the Hieroglyphics. That was fun :). Did you guys dig some more in the grids? I'll be interested in seeing the bottles and other things sometime soon *cough*.

The Nieuwhofs said...

Sorry I'm so late commenting. But I'm glad to see you back on track with posting. Interesting artifacts you are dealing with. I hope you continue to have fun at work. Glad it is working out better then Micheal's.
That cough sound bad, you better get lots of rest and drink plenty of liquids. Lol.
Love, DAD

Matt n' Amanda said...

o hahaha.. you guys are all so funny :). Sounds like thingfs are going well. Too bad you arent going to PEI till the summer, you'll miss all the snow. I am going this weekend nanana na boo boo.