Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!

Sorry, it's a little belated. Isaac had the day off yesterday since it was Columbus Day here. I guess the military and most government jobs had the day off. Isaac had a couple of people over for a study group and I went out with Diane (my M-i-L) to get some decorations for the open house/reception that they are hosting for us next Sunday. So, we both had productive days.
Isaac and I are still looking around for a church. Last Sunday, we went to the CRC in Silver Spring. It reminded me of home, but on a smaller scale. I think there are only about 100 (maybe slightly more) people that go to that church. They were really welcoming after the service. There was a bit of 'Dutch Bingo' afterward - not that anyone knew me, but I was in Dutch class for 2 years with the pastor's son as it turns out. One of the ladies (maybe welcoming commitee) knew of Isaac because her niece was in some of the labs that Isaac was the Teacher's Assistant for. I think that Isaac's parents also know her (she's their neighbour) and they know the pastor and his family. Also, a group of people our age came up to us and introduced themselves and we talked for a while. The difficult thing is that it's very hard to find a place where you want to go to worship God when you father(in-law) is also a pastor. There is a lot of extra politics involved. We'll pray about it, and I ask for your prayers as well. I believe that next week, we're invited to go to church with one of Isaac's friends at school. I guess we'll see what God has in store here.
Anyway, Isaac's coming home for lunch today and he should be here in a min. I'll talk to you again soon.
As always, Thank you for your comments :)
Love,
~ Mary

7 comments:

sugarnuggets said...

How fun to have a day off together!!
I know that you'll find a church where you feel at home, whichever one that may be. If you seek God's guidance, He will offer it...but sometimes deciphering it is the hard part:):) I wish there was an easy button!

Hope you have a great day...and about that getting up early thing....we could be a support group for each other....:):)
Love hearing about your day...love ya, TT

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Young! So nice to read about your life's happenings. I'll pray that you find a church just as nice as the one Amanda and Matt have settled into.
Seems like Isaac is always studying so really enjoy those days off and Sunday afternoons together. He needs to put those books down some times.
Sure missed you this weekend. It makes us look forward to Christmas even more... knowing that everyone will be home. Very exciting. We exchanged names. I'm sure your family will let you know who you have to buy for.
Take care. Love ya, Tante Karen

Matt n Amanda said...

hey sista,
sounds like things are going well for you over there. I hope you find a church as great as ours also. Are there a lot of people coming to your open house? What kind of decorations did you get. How fun that Isaac had a dtudy group over... I wish Matt would have some of those.. I could make cookies and coffee and feel... important. hehe. I invited one of his friends over for dinner. well I am going to go... love ya lots
Amanda

Brian K said...

Happy thanksgiving to you too, Mary. I hope you find a church home that is welcoming, loving, and suits you both well. I am shopping a bit too.

Tineke Aaron and Cassie said...

Hey there.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too guys.
Nice to hear about your day.
We're still busy digging, we got the Yukons out now,and just have the Gems left, just a few more days and then carrot time...I'm excited!
Luv ya and miss ya.

The Nieuwhofs said...

The hardest part about church is finding the right one. The one that you will feel at home in. Hard to know, when you have never gone there before.
Pray and trust that God has allready picked one. Ask him to show you.
I guess an Easy Button would be handy.
Have a great day.
Love you guys, DAD

Dianna said...

im impressed, when I finish writing this you will have 7 comments! Sweet! I know finding a church is hard, we church hopped like 7 times before I we found this one! Well I hope you have a great day, and update soon again. Hope your party is a great success tommorow. We wouldnt have been able to come anyways becasue Jordan has duty this week. I better go, Micaiah my little restless naitive is a hungry guy, gotta go! Love you lots! Dianna