Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh my... it's been way too long.

Broken computers sure don't help either. I hope I haven't lost all of my readers...
This post is going to serve as a brief summary of the end of our summer... and with luck (and good technical skills) I'll also post some pics in the next one.

I guess I'll start after our U.K. trip. After a few days of down time- a vacation after vacation, Isaac spent 10 days in Fort Indian-Town-Gap (I think that's how it's written) in Pennsylvania for "Operation: Kerkeshner" for field excercises and other such military things. Though it was strenuous with long days (in formation by 6:00h and going til 01:00h the next day) and he was only able to shower once during that time (close to the beginning of the trip), he had a lot of fun.
Upon arrival back in Silver Spring (hence forth S.S.) that Friday night, he showered and I did his laundry. Sunday afternoon, he flew to Portland, Oregon for his "summer experience". There, among other things, he shadowed an epidemiologist, and 2 other public health doctors. He also participated in a research project about why TB was affecting so many Native Americans. All in all, he had a busy 3 weeks there but learned much about the U.S. Public Health system. Scarcely back 1 week from that and school started. It's going to be a very busy year for him. Last year, he usually had 1 half-day per week, where he would come home around 3pm after studying at the library for 4 hrs. after classes. This semester, he has no half days, and usually comes home for dinner around 7-7:30 and goes back to school to study til 10pm. Then it's off to bed. Needless to say, I don't see too much of him these days, but I want him to be a good doctor... not a poor one since I insisted he study less.
In the mean time, I'm waiting for my new Employment Authorization document to come. I have an interview at the end of September at an Archaeology firm in downtown S.S. I'm pretty excited about it and hopefully it works out to work there cuz frankly, I'm tired of looking.
Currently, I pass my days cross-stitching (it's almost done. Yay!!) and making books for my portfolio. Hopefully, I can sell them sometime soon.
I went to visit Dianna, Jordan, & Micaiah during Isaac's first week in Portland. It was great to spend some time with her and her fam. then, a couple weeks later, we had an excellent visit with Pete and Bec. We did ALOT of walking and took many, many pictures, but it was really great to see so much family this summer- especially since I can't leave the U.S. right now.
Anyway, that's our lives in a nutshell for the past 2 months. Keep checking back for the pics.
Thank you dear readers for sticking with me.

Love,
~ Mary

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's alive!!!
just kidding. good to hear from you. i miss being able to hang out with you and Isaac here!
love,
brian

Mary and Isaac said...

Thanks Brian. We miss hanging out with you too!!

sugarnuggets said...

A faithful reader never gives up!!
So glad you are well, and have a great attitude toward the study process!! That really helps you a lot.

Can't wait for some pics!

Love ya, TT

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Of course I'm sticking with ya! You'll never lose me. I luv ya!
My, my... it sounds like Isaac is super busy. I'm sure he IS going to be one of those 'good' doctors and then everything will be worthwhile. I'm sure the waiting is quite trying at times. Hang in there. I'll pray that you get that job with the Archaelogy firm. That's right up your alley and you'll be happy there, I'm sure.
Great to see Rebecca's pics of your visit. Glad you had time with your siblings. It's always nice to have company.
Love ya lots, Tante Karen

The Nieuwhofs said...

hey Mary

Just noticed you updated,great to hear that you got the job. Hopefully your paperwork will fall into place son as well.
Like they said, just up your alley.
All the best to you and Isaac, hope his studies will go well this year.
Love, DAD