Friday, May 4, 2007

Ga Oranje!

This is going to be a short post, but I thought I owed it to you all to write a little update - just to let you know that I am indeed, still alive and kicking. :)
It has certainly been a while since I last posted. I've been busy creating wedding registries, and finishing up end of semester/ pre-graduation things. I'm excited to be finished of school for a while - and maybe forever. While it has been a good experience, I'm very much done of going to classes, reading books and essays, writing papers, working on projects, and taking quizzes, tests, and exams.
Today, there was a special Dutch chapel. THere was a group of 50 seniors who are visiting the U.S. from the Netherlands. I had the opportunity to practise my Dutch to actual native speakers. To my surprise, I did pretty well. I carried on a conversation with a gentleman who didn't know any English (most of the people knew at least basic English), so I wasn't even able to cheat by throwing in and English word when I didn't know it in Dutch. We both had to talk circles around words we didn't know (or understand) a few times, but it was fun. He said that he and his wife have a huge house in the country that they live in by themselves, so if I ever wanted to visit with a couple of friends, I could stay with them. How nice, eh?
I didn't mention that I have a few relatives there that I could stay with - but at least this couple lives in Zuid Holland, a province where, as far as I'm aware, we don't have family, so hey, they're there. I would like to go there some day, but unfortunately, I don't think it'll be in the plans anytime soon. One day though...
Anyway, I must go to my next class soon. I'll talk to you later.
Love you all!
~ Mary

2 comments:

sugarnuggets said...

How fun to practise your Dutch!!!and how nice to get such an invitation!! Cool!

Hope you have a great day today!!
Love ya, Tante Tetcy

Anonymous said...

Great to see a new blog from you Mary. And we are soo looking forward to seeing you next week.
I started plowing today. So the fieldwork has started. It is later then normal. Hopefully we will have put a dent in it by the end of next week.
Love you guys, DAD.